Whilst the UK are not doubt celebrating at the news of a second Royal baby, there is one woman who is probably feeling decidedly poorly, and that is the Duchess herself. The news of Kate and William’s second pregnancy has hit the tabloids, but only because it was becomingly increasingly hard for the Palace to hide Kate’s extreme morning sickness.
In a statement, Kensington Palace said: ‘Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are very pleased to announce that The Duchess of Cambridge is expecting their second child.
‘The Queen and members of both families are delighted with the news. As with her first pregnancy, The Duchess is suffering from Hyperemesis Gravidarum.
‘Her Royal Highness will no longer accompany The Duke of Cambridge on their planned engagement in Oxford today. The Duchess is being treated by doctors at Kensington Palace.’
As with her last pregnancy, Kate is suffering from a severe kind of morning sickness known as Hyperemesis Gravidarum, where the pregnant mother is sick constantly, and loses vital nutrients through the constant vomiting. In this extreme condition, often the vomiting and sickness are so severe that expectant mothers cannot keep down any food, and doctors may have to resort to topping up fluids via intravenous drips.
This is unfortunately the second time that Kate has suffered from this debilitating illness, in fact, during her pregnancy with baby George, Kate became so poorly that she had to have a spell in hospital. This was to ensure that vitamins and minerals, which are not only essential to the mother, but the growing baby, were replenished.
So far the Palace doctors are keeping a close eye on the Duchess, who cancelled a prearranged visit to Oxford today as she felt so poorly. It has been estimated that the baby will be born in the spring of 2015, and will be fourth in line to the throne, replacing Prince Harry, who now drops to fifth.
Kate however, should be buoyed by the many social media congratulations that have been posted today, including those from the Prime Minister, David Cameron, who stated:
“Many congratulations to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. I’m delighted by the happy news that they’re expecting another baby.”
The Leader of the Opposition Ed Miliband also led congratulations for the couple, commenting on Facebook:
“Fantastic to hear that Prince George will soon be a big brother! Congratulations to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on their happy news.”
Although Kate has cancelled engagements for the early part of this week, a spokesperson for Kensington Palace said that future events would be looked at on a “case by case” basis, dependant on how the Duchess was feeling.
She was due to attend the opening ceremony of Prince Harry’s Invictus Games in London on Wednesday evening, and was intending to be at the Games on Thursday, but in light of her condition, this is now not expected.
One thing that is known is that both William and Kate have stated a preference for this baby to be a girl.