Different Types of Working Visas for Emigrating to Australia

My sister emigrated to Australia a little over eight years ago now and I remember how difficult it was for them to not only find the right working visa but also to get in all the paperwork on time, to finalise the medicals for all the family and last but not least, fund the MARA agent! A MARA agent by the way is a Migration Agent who is an agent of the Migration Agents Registration Authority and if you are planning on using an agent make sure they belong to this body. Having said all that, they are now settled very happily in Australia and would never come back here to the UK, seeing Oz as their natural home. There are several ways to gain entry into Australia and all of these require a working visa. They have increased the age limit of a few, namely the Employer Sponsored Workers and the General Skilled Migration visas from age 45 to 50 now. But the rules are changing all the time so it is always best to read the latest blurb from the government website. To give you a very basic overview of what types of visa are available, I have listed them below. For a list of MARA agents, please visit mara.gov.au;

Employer Sponsored Workers

This is for people with recognised skills seeking to work in Australia after being sponsored by an Australian or overseas employer. For skilled people to be employed in Australia on a temporary or permanent basis. Applicants for these visas seeking to work for an Australian employer must be sponsored by their employer.

Professionals and other Skilled Migrant

This program, typically known as the General Skilled Migration, is for people who are not sponsored by an employer but who have skills in particular occupations, such as teaching, which are required in Australia. There is a range of visa options under the General Skilled Migration program for skilled workers who want to live in Australia and who do not have an employer sponsoring them. These include options for skilled people applying as an independent migrant as well as those sponsored by a relative, or nominated by a State or Territory government.

Business People

For people to come to Australia for a business-related visit. Also for people to establish, manage or develop a new or existing business, or invest in Australia. Business people can apply for a visa to conduct short business visits, establish or manage a new or existing business or invest in Australia. If an Australian State or Territory government business agency wants to encourage a particular business or business person to Australia, it can offer to sponsor a visa applicant.


SkillSelect is an online system that enables skilled workers interested in migrating to Australia to record their details to be considered for a skilled visa through an Expression of Interest (EOI). SkillSelect will ensure the skilled migration program is based on the economic needs of Australia. The Australian Government will be able to manage who is able to apply for skilled migration, when they are able to apply and in what numbers, on the basis of this need. As a result, the Department of Immigration and Citizenship expects to significantly reduce the time taken to process a visa application and improve the settlement and employment prospects of its skilled migrants.

Specialist Entry

This is for people to participate in specific professional, cultural, social or research activities. A permanent visa could be available for people outside Australia, nominated for migration on the basis of their internationally recognised record of exceptional and outstanding achievement in a profession, the arts, sport, research or academia. For people to work in the Australian entertainment industry; in film, television or live productions in either a performance or behind-the scenes role, such as directors, producers and other production personnel.

Doctors and Nurses

Information and visa options for doctors and nurses who want to work in Australia. There is currently a shortage of doctors and nurses in Australia, particularly in regional areas. General practitioners or specialists can apply for a visa to work in Australia if they have obtained their primary medical qualification in a country other than Australia or gained their medical qualifications in Australia and are not an Australian permanent resident. Nurses are currently in high demand in Australia with opportunities for permanent and temporary work available.

Regional Employment

Information about options available to encourage skilled migrants to live and work in areas outside of Australia’s major cities. These programmes are designed to address the special circumstances of rural and regional Australia. They are employer-friendly, flexible and include concessions for regional employers. The programmes aim to attract young, skilled, English speaking migrants to areas of Australia where they are most needed. Generally, skilled migrants are under 45 years of age, have functional English, diploma level qualifications or above and relevant work experience.

Skills Australia Needs Events

Skills Australia Needs Events are designed to help meet the current skills shortages in Australia. They allow skilled workers to meet with employers and state and territory governments about employment and sponsorship opportunities in Australia.

Air and Sea Crew

Information about visas and entry requirements for air and sea crew coming to Australia.

Pacific Seasonal Worker Scheme

Information for people from Kiribati, Papua New Guinea, Tonga and Vanuatu seeking to work in Australia under the Pacific Seasonal Worker Scheme.

For more articles on how to emigrate to Australia, check back here soon!

Show Comments

No Responses Yet

    Leave a Reply

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.