If you have ever watched an American programme where they have opened a spacious fridge freezer, you might have thought about buying one for yourself.
American style fridge freezers come with many features, and are great in larger kitchens and households, but they do have drawbacks.
Pros of an American Fridge Freezer
- You get loads more storage space for fresh and frozen food
- They have frost-free freezers and a fast-freeze option
- Great storage features such a bottle racks and fridge shelves that can be moved around
- They come with ice and water dispensers
Cons of an American Fridge Freezer
- Expensive to buy and run
- Very large and could be too big for your kitchen space
- If you want one with a water dispenser it will have to be plumbed into the mains
- Other models fill the water dispenser with a jug, but need refilling every 2 to 3 litres.
- Many are slow to chill food which means it does not stay fresh as long as it should
When choosing a product you should take into account the features you cannot do without and the ones you don’t really need.
So, is large fridge space a real necessity or do you require more room in the freezer? Do you want the water dispenser and if so, where in the kitchen will the fridge have to be situated to be near the mains?
Here are our suggestions for low, mid and high priced products:
LOW PRICEBeko ASD241 – £599.00
- Fridge Capacity: 364litres,
- Freezer Capacity: 190 litres
- Non-plumbed water dispenser
I did not think you could get an American-style fridge freezers for less than a thousand but here is a perfectly good one from Beko. Tons of space, as you can see from the picture, it has a lovely modern design with interior LED lighting strips. Huge freezer section but use the Quick Freeze function to ensure your food freezes as it can take a long time otherwise. Comes with a non-plumbed water dispenser. Stainless steel finish.
- Fridge Capacity: 362 litres
- Freezer Capacity: 178 litres
- Water cooler and ice maker
Not stainless steel but a painted finish that looks very stylish. Non-plumbed water and ice dispenser, with a big fridge and freezer section and plenty of well-designed space. A no frost system and a powerful cooling system that keeps the interior temperature cold.
- Fridge Capacity: 348 litres
- Freezer Capacity: 123 litres
- Full width fridge on top with three zones underneath
- Drawer drinks cooler and freezer compartments
- Water dispenser and ice maker
We love the unusual layout of this product. The top section is one whole fridge, underneath that is a slim drawer that can be used for drinks and then underneath that is a larger drawer. Each drawer can be set to different temperatures. The drawers are perfect for larger items that will not fit in a standard freezer or fridge, like your Christmas turkey. The slim mid-drawer is ideal for smaller items like drinks or canapes. The fridge freezer does need plumbing in so you’ll have to think about where you locate it.