Everywhere you go, you hear about celebrities having acupuncture. But what’s all the fuss about? What can
acupuncture actually do for us?
Acupuncture is a treatment whereby needles are inserted and manipulated in our bodies. Supposedly a pain reliever, as well as a treatment for infertility and disease, acupuncture is said to promote general health, and celebrities are jumping on the bandwagon.
Acupuncture is a form of Chinese medicine, and one that believes energy flows through our body in pathways called meridians. This treatment supposedly helps the energy through, enabling us to stay healthy all year round.
Acupuncturists can use this form of treatment to treat many different illnesses, such as:
- Back Pain
- Dental pain
- Breathing problems
Acupuncture is one of those things that there’s no hard evidence to show it works. Whilst some rely on it to get them through the troubles of life, others say it does nothing for them, and that it doesn’t work for them. With recent news suggesting that acupuncture can help millions of people with unexplained symptoms, as a result of it working wonders for energy levels, more and more people are coming round to the idea of having needles stuck in their body’s, so to speak.
The cost of acupuncture differs amongst practitioners, although one session averages at around £35-£65, with further treatments at around £25-£50.
Some celebrities who have made use of acupuncture and rave about its effects are:
- Elle Macpherson– she believes in looking after her body from a Chinese perspective, by promoting health and well being rather than treating illness each time it occurs.
- Gwyneth Paltrow– she supposedly said that acupuncture has introduced a new lease of life to her, and that it helped her find love again, as well as dealing with the death of her father.
- Jim Carrey– openly spoken about his experience with acupuncture, saying that it has changed his physical vitality and generally worked wonders for his health, as a whole.
- Sarah Michelle Gellar– although she hasn’t undergone acupuncture herself, she regularly takes her dog for the treatment.
Acupuncture is now increasing being recognised as an important medicine, and one that can help those struggling in life, because of a multitude of difference reasons, such as:
- Grief from some close to you dying
- Low energy levels
- Marriage break-ups
- Low self-confidence and self-esteem
- Lack of motivation towards life