Fashion Tips for the Office
It can be tough to dress for the office, especially if there is no definitive dress code in your workplace. With descriptions like “smart casual”, “relaxed dress” and “business casual”, it can be very confusing when it’s time to decide what to wear to work. Here are some tips to help you look your best every day.
• Never underestimate the importance of good tailoring. It really does make a difference! Even a suit bought at a thrift shop can look like couture, if it’s been tailored to fit you. If you need a tailor, a simple online search can help you find one within minutes. Jackets and shirts should have their arm holes adjusted so they’re not too high or too low, and shoulder seams should touch the point where shoulder and arm meet. Pants and skirts should fit the waist without gapping, and pants should have a break at the ankle without being too long. Skirts and dresses should be hemmed at just below knee-length.
• Put on a blazer or jacket. A fitted jacket can instantly bring your look from casual to stylish; wear it closed, open, loose or belted to find the look that works for you.
• When all else fails, wear black and white. This is a foolproof colour combination, and it works in all professional situations. When you don’t know what to wear to your next meeting, black and white are a sure bet. Combine solid white with solid black—whites should be crisp and black should be deep.
• Don’t forget to accessorize. The right add-ons can bring interest to even the most plain office wear. Pay special attention to your choice in shoes; they can make or break your entire ensemble. Men can add a splash of colour with a pocket square, a tie, or a pair of cuff links. Ladies can accessorize with jewellery, hosiery and scarves.
• Mix up your look. You don’t have to wear the same tired wardrobe every day—just because you work in an office doesn’t mean you can’t have a little fun! It’s easy to express yourself through your clothing choice, and what you wear is also an indication of your professional status. They call them “power suits” for a reason; when you’re choosing what to wear, select items that make you feel confident and powerful.
Deciphering modern dress codes can be confusing, but it doesn’t have to be. You may not think of your office as a place to display your fashion sense, but with the tips above, you can put together a look that’s stylish, creative and office-appropriate.
This post was written by James Harper on behalf of “Patra Selections”, the great online fashion retailer.