Different Type of Moving Companies in USA
Planning to move? Consider the type of moving company you require. Following is a brief list of the type of moving companies you can choose from –
• Long Distance Movers – Long distance here may mean more than 100 miles including both inter and intra state. Moving companies will charge you on the distance travelled and the weight of the things that you transport. Many companies also charge on the basis of the volume of your packages. Get an estimate before you finalize the move. If companies do not give you an in-house estimate then beware; they may not be licensed or registered as a moving company.
• Local Movers – If you are moving from one locality to another or anywhere within your locality then you will need local moving companies. This means any move made within 30 miles is referred as a local move. The moving company here charges by the hour and rates may vary depending on your locality. Some companies charge around $80 – $150 per hour. The charges also depend on the number of men and vehicles that are required for your move.
• International Movers – You would need international movers if you are relocating from one country to another. Do get an in-house estimate of the total moving cost before you finalize your move. It goes beyond saying that international moving companies will charge more than the local or inter-state moving service providers. Some companies charge around $3000 – $10000, depending on your location and packages.
• Commercial or Office Movers – This service is not provided by all the moving companies since it requires moving a professional set up. Any relocation requirement of a small company or business to a large organization falls in this category. The moving company will appoint one person as a point of contact between the two parties. He will plan the whole process and give a moving estimate after considering the requirements. This moving process is much more flexible but expensive as it requires specific relocation needs and services.
• Home Movers – These are moving companies that cater to household moving services only. They carry out services like packing, transportation as well as storage, depending on the location and type of move that you undertake.
• Self-service Movers or Half Service Movers – The only thing the moving company will provide here is the vehicle and an experienced driver for your move. All the other things in the process, like packing, loading, unloading, etc will be done by you. Some companies might provide help but the main onus will lie on you. Yes, it is true that this type of move will save you money. But are you sure that you can handle all the laborious tasks for your move? If yes then this type of moving company will match with your needs.
• Full Service Movers – Full service moving companies are those that will undertake all the tasks in the moving process. Starting from packing, loading, unloading, shipping, etc is done by the company. Nevertheless, it is an expensive procedure but you will be rest assured of a hassle free moving experience.
• Do-It-Yourself Movers – This is the ultimate moving company for people who would like to do all the work themselves, including the driving. These companies will provide you with vehicles for rent, packing supplies and other materials that would help you to move. You will have to do everything from packing, loading, driving the vehicle, unloading, unpacking, etc, all by yourself. You will get tips and guidelines from the companies to enable you to undertake the whole process without any problem.
• Vehicle Moving Service Providers – Companies that are solely responsible for relocation of vehicles are refereed to here. They charge you on the type of vehicles to be relocated as well as the distance to be covered. Companies will pick your vehicle from your home and transport it wherever you need them across United States.
• Pet Moving Services – These are companies that specialize in moving your pet from one place to another without any hassle. They take care of your pet’s needs and provide medical support as well, if required.
Guest post contributed by David Harris who has been associated with a moving company. He has written many articles on moving tips, tips to a moving company and others.