If you suffer from panic attacks, you have a phobia, or you get anxious about certain situations, you may have already heard of Bach Flower’s Rescue Remedy, which is known for treating panic inducing traumas and works to stabilise the person’s emotional and physical state. The Back Flower Rescue Remedy is the original remedy which Dr Edward Bach created specifically to deal with emergency situations, but over the years, it has been afforded other names such as Revival Remedy etc But as long at the five key ingredients – Impatiens, Star of Bethlehem, Cherry Plum, Rock Rose and Clematis are present, this will still work as a rescue remedy.
This combination of essences, originally formulated by Dr Bach, was created for use in situations requiring ‘emergency rescue’ and it acts as a very fast and effective emotional stabiliser in situations of great fear, panic, trauma, or severe stress, such as serious accidents, phobia reactions or unexpected bereavement. It can also be very useful in situations of lesser trauma such as pre exam nerves, driving tests, visits to the dentist, etc. You can take Rescue Remedy in several different ways; for general anxiety, take a glass of water and drop four drops into it and sip as required. If the stress and anxiety is more acute and troublesome, you can drop the Rescue Remedy directly onto the tongue from the bottle, repeating as required or until stabilised. In cases where the person has fainted, drop some from the bottle onto their lips, temple, inner wrists and other pulse spots, and massage in until they have regained consciousness. Rescue Remedy is available in a spray, chewing gum, a cream and even pastilles; the cream has the additional essence of Crab Apple, which has a cleansing effect and particularly good for people who suffer from OCD.
“I want to make it as simple as this: I am hungry, I will go and pull a lettuce from the garden for my tea; I am frightened and ill, I will take a dose of Mimulus.” Dr Bach
To see what properties the other essences provide for Rescue Remedy, see below:
- Impatiens: For those who act and think quickly, and have no patience for what they see as the slowness of others. They often prefer to work alone. Teaches empathy and understanding of and patience with others. We’ve found it very fast-acting in alleviating an impatient attitude and lowering stress.
- Star of Bethlehem: For trauma and shock, whether experienced recently or in the past. Teaches the ability to recover from traumas and to integrate them into the present life.
- Cherry Plum: For those who fear losing control of their thoughts and actions and doing things they know are bad for them or which they consider wrong. Teaches trust in one’s spontaneous wisdom and the courage to follow one’s path.
- Rock Rose: For situations in which one experiences panic or terror.
- Clematis: For those who find their lives unhappy and withdraw into fantasy worlds. They are ungrounded and indifferent to the details of everyday life. Teaches one to establish a bridge between the physical world and the world of ideas; may foster great creativity. Is also used to bring clarity and alertness to the present moment.
This combination of Bach Flower Remedies is especially beneficial when you find yourself in any kind of stressful moments, from last-minute exam nerves to the aftermath of an accident, and all other kind of situations where we suddenly lose our mental acuity and balance. Rescue Remedy quickly allows us to get back in our normal balance so that we calmly can deal with any situation. Rescue Remedy is designed however, to help deal with immediate problems. If you are working through an underlying problem – or if you find you need rescuing every day – you may find it beneficial make a personal selection from the essences. It should also be noted that Rescue Remedy does not replace medical attention, which should always be summoned in emergency. It rather aims to dissolve the effects of shock, fear or trauma, and therefore enables the body’s own self healing process to take effect quicker.