Mobile Apps That Could Save Your Life
Apps, or ‘applications’, are pieces of software designed to help you perform specific tasks, from playing games to shopping online
at your favourite store. But aside from all the fun you can have with apps on your phone, tablet or computer, some apps are actually pretty useful and could potentially be a lifesaver in certain situations!
Travel apps that could save your life
- GPS (Global Positioning Satellite) apps are very useful if you are the kind of person who enjoys trekking and hiking off the beaten track. Imagine being stuck in the middle of nowhere and dense fog comes down: you have a map, but you can’t see more than three feet in front of your nose, so landmarks are meaningless. Thankfully, with the help of a GPS app, you can work out your exact location and plot a safe route home.
- Worried about falling ill whilst in a foreign country? Download an app to translate essential medical terms, help you locate a doctor or dentist, and tell you the names of local medicine brands. It’s not an instant cure, but at least you can secure the right treatment.
- An emergency help call app will give you the emergency contact number for whatever country you happen to be in and even connect you to the right emergency service if time is of the essence and you or someone else’s life is in danger.
- Keeping in touch with local events could save your life when travelling in some parts of the world and apps can be used to provide timely travel alerts and tell you where the nearest embassy if it all goes badly awry.
Lifestyle apps that could save your life
Being a little overweight is unlikely to cause too many ill effects, but if you are seriously obese, you are putting your long-term health at risk, and in the worse case scenario, you might even die as a result of excess weight and related health problems. However, help is at hand and there are dozens of health related apps available to those looking to lose weight and start leading a healthier lifestyle.
- Calorie counter apps are great for anyone trying to lose weight. Most come with huge databases of dietary information for common foods and some even have bar code scanners so you can scan produce for a more exact nutritional breakdown. Use these apps to track exactly what you are eating during the course of a normal day—being told that the chocolate cupcake you have your eye on contains 1200 calories might be enough to shame you into leaving it alone.
- Exercise apps are like having your own personal trainer on hand 24/7. These apps log your exercise and fitness training, plus they can give you a personalised exercise program to help you lose weight the sensible way.
- Quit smoking apps are useful motivational tools for anyone trying to stop smoking. As any smoker knows, nicotine is a highly addictive drug and giving up smoking is very difficult, but support can make a real difference and improve your chances of success. Quit smoking apps can provide personalised plans to help you stop smoking and even put you in touch with others who are trying to quit.
Health apps that could save your life
- First Aid and CPR apps could easily save lives if disaster strikes and you or someone nearby has an accident or suffers a health emergency. Unless you are a trained medical professional, you might not know how to resuscitate a patient, but with a First Aid and CPR app to hand, there is no need to panic!
- All women should check their breasts for lumps at least once per month, but many women have no idea how to do this correctly. A breast checker app can show you how to check your breasts for anything suspicious as well as schedule regular reminders to ensure you don’t forget.
- Moles are usually benign, but it is essential to keep a close eye on any potentially life threatening skin changes. There are apps available to help you evaluate a mole and decide whether you should have it checked out further by a doctor.
Recombu offer the latest information, comparisons and reviews on mobile phone handsets, contract deals and digital services.
- Mobile Apps That are Transforming Mobile Healthcare
- Amazing Shopping & Money Saving Android Apps
- A Medicine List: Your Prescription for Safety
- Top 3 Drug Reference iPhone Apps for Doctors and Students
- Top iPhone Apps for Calorie Counting on the go
- It’s Stoptober! Quit Smoking Now!
- How to Save on your Life Insurance