Pros and Cons of Shopping Online
There is hardly anything you can think of that cannot be bought online these days! Clothing and accessories, shoes, luggage, furniture, appliances, electronics, movies, music, groceries, dog food, stationary, vintage items, hardware, software, and a slew of handheld gizmos and gadgets – the list is literally endless. This is great news for people who love the convenience that online shopping brings. For others, however, the online shopping experience is not entirely a bed of roses. A closer look at the pros and cons of shopping online will explain why.
Advantages of shopping online:
- The ability to shop 24/7 all year long, even on Christmas and holidays
- The convenience of shopping from the comfort of your own home or laptop
- Massive saving in time spent driving or walking to the store or mall, fighting traffic, finding a parking space, waiting in long lineups, and fighting the crowds during peak seasons
- Some of the best deals are offered over the Internet, as retailers reach out to the masses and lower their prices to gain your business and to gain an edge on the competition
- One of the best features of online shopping is the ability to view side-by-side price comparisons and find the best deal for the product you want to purchase; special search engines designed solely for this purpose also quote shipping prices, providing you with the actual full cost
- Dubbed “the world’s largest shopping mall,” you will never find a greater selection of services, products, styles, sizes, types, colors, and model numbers than on the Internet; and with the ability to access retailers from across the globe, the world of online shopping just got a little bigger
Disadvantages of shopping online:
- Having to wait for your order to be delivered as opposed to walking out of the store with your purchase in hand
- Inability to try on shoes and clothing or test out products prior to purchase
- Online photos are not always accurate and you may be surprised once your order arrives
- Hassles involved in dealing with defective items, which often include having to pay for return shipping costs
- International shipping costs can be quite hefty, especially for larger/heavier items
- Limited online shopping support/customer service
- Concerns regarding the safety of sharing personal information and credit card numbers online
- Risk of identity theft
- Without a bank account or credit card in their name, many youngsters and teens who want to shop online are left out in the cold
- Many online retailers will only ship to addresses within United States, leaving millions of international customers frustrated and disappointed
Shopping across the borders
Fortunately, if you are one of those online shoppers that frequent the virtual retail stores of overseas merchants, you do not have to feel shut out of the action. Modern mail forwarding services may be just the solution you were looking for. In a nutshell, mail forwarding companies assign a legitimate US address to you as your shipping address when you shop online. Once your purchases arrive, the company forwards them to you wherever you are. Other services provided include package consolidation, online tracking, and access to the latest coupons and sales from the most popular vendors.
If want to shop online but are shut out because you cannot provide a US shipping address, learn what international mail forwarding from New York can do for you and how it can help solve your online shopping woes.